Sunday, December 31, 2017

7/0 Owner K hooks by Chuck

DSCF0213
The 7/0 Owner K hook was the primary hook I used in 2014. While talking with a friend about hooks about a year ago, he mentioned Owner hooks. He asked if I ever used them. I told him I had, but quit using them years ago because of cost. Once I found the Eagle Claw King Kahle hooks, I made the switch and have used them ever since as my primary hook. After the conversation with my friend I went to the Owner site and began looking through their hooks. I found the K hooks and thought they would be a good hook to get in for review.
Similar to the Eagle Claw King Kahle but with a slightly different bend, the K hook is a great choice when a wide gap hook is needed. Here is a shot of the 7/0 K hook next to a couple of the Eagle Claw King Kahle hooks.
DSCF0210
7/0 Owner K on the left next to the 7/0 King Kahle. 4 or 5/0 on the right.

Over the course of 2014 the Owner K hook has become my favorite hook for flathead fishing. These hooks are extremely sharp out of the package. They will instantly penetrate anything they come in contact with, including your finger. Don't ask me how I know this. However, just as with anything else the extreme sharpness comes at a cost. If the K hook comes in contact with anything solid, it dulls rather quickly. Even slightly dull though, it's sharper than many hooks out of the box. Just keep an eye on them when fishing around cover, or after hooking a big fish. Contact with the jaw bone of a big flathead and it may be time to tie on a new hook.
Owner hooks have always been on the higher end of the cost scale for hooks, and the K hooks is no exception. A 12 pack of the 7/0 hooks is $12 if purchased directly from Owner. At a buck a piece this certainly puts them in the premium price category. The Eagle Claw King Kahle in 7/0 can be had for $6.60 for a box of 50 from Bottom Dwellers Tackle. That's 13 cents a piece. The price of the K hooks is certainly inline with other premium priced catfish hooks though. The Charlie Brown hooks are around a buck a piece, and the Team Catfish Double Action hooks are about 75 cents a piece, after the reduction in price on these. When I was buying them, they were about a buck a piece.
Are the Owner K hooks worth the substantial difference in cost? I can't really answer that. All I can say is they worked great for me in 2014. I did have to throw away a few hooks, but not that many. Fishing suspended over cover in deep holes most of the year, my K hooks didn't come in contact with much to dull them. When I did fish on bottom, I would generally tie on a King Kahle.
The 7/0 Owner K hooks worked great no matter the bait used. Whether it was a snout hooked 10" sucker, or a piece of cut bait. A hookset resulted in a flathead in the boat. No quick releases this year when the Owner K hook was on the line.

10492476_774717782572935_7473936756975518659_n
So if you are looking for a premium catfish hook, maybe money is on the line in a big tournament, give the Owner K hooks a try. Just keep a close eye on that point. As for me, I plan to keep a few packs of the K hooks in my box, but don't plan on spending hundreds of dollars on them. When contact with cover is possible, the trusty Eagle Claw King Kahle will be on the end of my line.
DSCF0209

Chuck
chucktatmod

No comments:

Post a Comment