Sunday, December 31, 2017

Budget gear special : Shimano TLD Star reel by Chuck.

15902_847543361957043_3246978238142532020_n
This will be the start of what I hope to be a new series of articles covering budget friendly gear. Something not really found much on the pages of this website. Over the last couple of years I've spent most of my time testing expensive saltwater gear. But testing top end gear is one of the main reasons I started this website. To expose catfish anglers to gear they wouldn't hear about otherwise. However, I get asked quite often to recommend budget gear.
Sure, there is some budget gear out there that is top shelf gear, but I haven't used much of it. The Catfight series of rods from Bottom Dwellers being a perfect example of gear that punches way above it's price point. There are plenty of decent rods out there at a similar price point that will get the job done, but not very many reels that I can reccomend for pulling monster flatheads out of heavy cover.
If you have read any of my articles in the past, you know I think 20# of drag is about the minimum I would recommend for this type of fishing. Finding an inexpensive reel that will do 20# of drag has been a difficult task. From the factory the Shimano TLD Star is rated at 13.2# of drag. Certainly adequate for most catfishing, but far from the 20# I looking for to battle monster flatheads in heavy cover.
The cure for the low drag numbers is where carbontex drag washers from Smooth Drag comes in. For $17 you get 4 carbon washers that will pump up the drag on these reels to over 20#. Exactly what I've been looking for. Slap on some Cal's drag grease and install the new washers, and you will be ready to tangle with big fish in heavy cover.
The 15/30 size of this reel (a 20/40 size is also available) is the subject of this article. The reel is all graphite, and weighs about 17 ounces.
Pretty light for a big fish reel. It will hold about 340 yards of 80# braid. With a 5.2:1 gear ratio it will put about 38" of line back on the reel with every handle crank. This should provide a reasonable amount of power for fighting big fish. With only 2 ball bearings this isn't the smoothest reel on the market, but I really haven't noticed that much of a difference. The reel cast great! The tension control for the spool gives a wide adjustment range, making casting of different weight a piece of cake.
So far this reel doesn't sound all that special, but open the reel up and see what makes this the best budget reel I've ever seen. Under the side plates this reel is almost all stainless steel, and as easy to work on as an old Penn. Dead simple on the inside. All the extra parts not really needed have been left out of this design, leaving the absolute minimum parts to get the job done. This is how they made reels in the old days. Long term reliability should be off the charts.
Yes, I know, it doesn't have a level wind. I know people get all worried about it. I'm not really sure why. Before using my first non level wind reel I was worried too. Then I tried one and couldn't figure out what all the fuss was about. It really isn't hard to put the line back on. It doesn't have to go back on like a level wind reel puts it on. It doesn't have to be perfect. Just don't bunch up 100 yards of line on one side. No big deal. If you don't believe me, pick up an old Penn non level wind from ebay for $10 and try it out. Put on some cheap mono and give it a shot.
Soon you will see it becomes second nature. Not long after that you won't want level winds on any of your reels. This will open up a whole new world of reels to try. Most of the best reels made today are non level wind. For catfishing duties a non level wind reel truly shines fishing vertical.
Whether it be drifting for big blues, or fishing vertical over structure for flatheads, the Shimano TLD Star 15/30 will get the job done. Short lob casts to nearby shallow water structure from the boat is another way I've utilized this fantastic reel. I have also tried this reel for bank duty casting 3 ounces of weight with a good sized piece of cut bait. It's a wonderful casting reel. Something it has in common with almost all of the other Shimano reels. For bank duty the clicker works great. About the same tension as an old Penn reel. More than most of the Abu's, but certainly not the tightest clicker I have used. I would call it just about right. Nice and loud as well.
The one thing I didn't like about the 15/30 is the handle. If you like the old Penn reels with the football handle you will be right at home here. Me, I didn't like it. So I found an upgrade handle on Amazon. With the new handle and the carbontex drag washers, these reels are as good as anything I have used short of the $500 Okuma Makaira's. I liked them better than several reels I have used in the $2-300 price range.
11210455_933321143379264_1386466443268930142_n
I haven't found anything this reel isn't good at. It's casting ability is every bit as good as any reel I have ever used. My old Abu 6500s have nothing on this reel. Neither does the Shimano Tekota. The Shimano TLD Star reels are just fabulous reels. Not just fabulous for the money, but fabulous period.
The Shimano TLD Star 15/30 modified with carbontex drag washers and the upgraded handle get my top award for an inexpensive reel for any kind of catfishing. As a matter of fact, if you aren't thinking of spending several hundred dollars on a reel, I don't think you can do much better. This reel strikes me as an all graphite non level wind version of the Shimano Tekota with less parts. Look around on eBay and you can pick these up for less than $75 used, or grap a new one for $110. I got a steal on mine for $35 each! Even with the upgrades it's no more expensive than the popular big fish reels today. You can always pick one up and upgrade it over time if money is tight.
So just forget about the fact that the Shimano TLD Star doesn't have a level wind. Just pick one up for cheap and try it out. You can thank me later.
Chuck.
10409375_948708798507165_1883618180932807621_n
chucktatmod

No comments:

Post a Comment