Sunday, December 31, 2017

Initial review of Okuma EVX Musky Rod.

Alright folks thanks to Chuck Luck and the folks at Okuma for getting my rod to me so quickly. I got my Musky Evx H rod today and my initial impression is pretty positive. It is a graphite rod so it feels very light weight. It has a nice cork handle and graphite reel seat.. I like the feel of a cork handle and it provides a good grip even if it gets damp. The rod is 7‘4" and it has 9 eyes including  the tip, which is a good number of eyes with adequate spacing. The rod is rated at 30-80lbs line and a 2-10oz lure weight. It was designed for musky anglers to be able to continuously cast heavy lures with minimal arm fatigue.. This translates to a strong stiff light capable of casting large baits and battling large flatheads, blues and channels without much issue.  This combination is what made the St. Croix Catfish Classic rod such a sought after rod with mythic catfish fighting powers. I have handled many of the St.Croix rods and other than color I would say that initially this rod is very similar.  Don't let tge fact that it is designed for musky fishing turn you off   up until recently almost all large catfishing gear was designed for tackling large toothy musky.  Lots of cat guys I know use this part of the year at least here close to Pittsburgh to chase muskies so a rod like this could pull double duty in those cases.. like I said this is an initial assessment I am going  to put it through its paces and post some more reviews.. here are a few photos.
okumarod3 okmuarod2 okmuarod1

No comments:

Post a Comment