Sunday, December 31, 2017

True Grit by Scott Ross

As I sit by the river bank or on the boat. Or walking around scouting out new areas. I wonder WHY? Why can't I find a Flathead here? Why do I hear them rolling and fighting all around me? What am I doing wrong? Well, chances are, nothing. Many anglers in a quest for Monsters go through a dry spell. But during that time you can't help but to question everything you do. You question your gear, your bait, your Knowledge, and before long you start to wonder why your even there at all.
If you target one specific body of water, it can become even rougher. As I did. I chose a body of water in north central Ohio that has been known to be home to some truly giant Flatheads. I spent two years trying to find some here. I caught many large channels. And run after run, then pulling up another channel. I grew more obsessed, and more concerned. As I began to question everything I knew, I decided to test out my practices. Every time I would wonder, I would just take a trip to where they were plentiful and give it a shot. And would usually turn out good.
During this struggle I knew most of my friends wouldn't have the same determination that I did. They couldn't. Nobody close new what I was going through. And I didn't expect them to. I spent many nights alone on the water. Just staring into the darkness. Nothing to do but sit there and stew in your own thoughts. Many of those nights were noisy from the many fish jumping all around and bugs singing. Other nights were eary and hollow, Not a single noise around. It was hard to tell which was worse, Knowing the fish were there but wouldn't bite. Or wondering if there was even anything around at all.
It was one these warm dark nights of silence that breathed a sigh of relief. A nibble on the line. As I reeled in a heavy fish, It put up a good fight. But that feeling I felt before, every time a channel would surface, started to set in. My mind started to think, It's just another channel. But as his face broke the surface a feeling like no other set over me. A relief mixed with excitement and satisfaction all mixed together.
After It was all over I sit back and remember the struggles. The fish was no monster. In fact it was just over 22 pounds. But what that fish meant, and what I went through was all combined to make it larger than life. When I look back and wonder if it was all worth it. YES. Would I change a thing? You bet your hiney. Do I really want it to change? Nah.
22-10 charles mill

No comments:

Post a Comment